The Weekender: Chelsea Edition
Photo via TheHighLine.org / By Iwan Baan
The Chelsea scene may look a bit different since the days of Allen Ginsberg and Janis Joplin hanging late-night in cafés and roaming the halls of The Hotel Chelsea, but the West Manhattan neighborhood has never lost its vibrant culture and creative energy.
This weekend we want to show one of our favorite neighborhoods some special Uber lovin’ by encouraging riders to take a trip and experience CHELSEA. And with 25% off your Uber trip to Chelsea starting Friday through Sunday, there’s even more of a reason to make it your destination this weekend.
|TELL YOUR FRIENDS|
To make your weekend planning even easier, we’ve compiled the below Chelsea exploration guide complete with special perks and freebies!
Important note: To receive these exclusive deals, receipts must prove a trip was taken that same day, to Chelsea. Deals are available between Friday, April 4 12:00 AM and Sunday, April 6 11:59PM.
Dine at Willow Road, a gem in the Chelsea restaurant scene. We love its down-to-earth vibe and eclectic decor — not to mention the craveable “Sweet Tea and Lemon Fried Chicken” and inventive cocktail list (word to the wise: order the “Word to the Wise”). If you’re heading for dinner, be sure to make reservations as space fills up quick!
- Uber Perk: Receive one FREE appetizer when you order a dinner entree or one FREE dessert with purchase of a small plate.
Grab a bite at one of Chelsea’s favorite local hangouts, The Commons. The hole-in-the-wall café serves up a great brunch and later turns into a cozy bar.
- Uber Perk: Receive one FREE glass of Champagne with the purchase of any salad, toast (try the Avocado Toast!) or sandwich.
Visit Chelsea’s 24-hour Cuban restaurant, Coppelia, for a festive, latin-flavored dining experience anytime this weekend.
- Uber Perk: Head for dinner or make it DRUNCH. Either way enjoy a FREE glass of white or red sangria with the purchase of any entree.
Stroll through Chelsea Market “oohing” and “aahing” at all the mouthwatering goodies. Save enough time to stop in Cull & Pistol and treat yourself to an afternoon of oysters and Maine lobster.
- Uber Perk: Order any one of their entrees and receive a FREE glass of wine or beer.
Get some R&R after walking The High Line over a glass of Moscato or limoncello at Bar Veloce on 7th Avenue, Chelsea’s outpost of the famous East Village wine bar.
- Uber Perk: Sip some FREE bubbly when ordering one of their perfectly-pressed paninis.
Feast on a spread of traditional Spanish tapas and paellas at Socarrat Paella Bar. In case you didn’t know where the bar’s name came from, socarrat is the scrumptious crust that forms along the bottom of the paella pan (yes, please!).
- Uber Perk: Enjoy a FREE tapa (value of $9 or less) when your order a paella entree.
Give into your sugar craving (hey, it’s the weekend!) and visit Billy’s Bakery’s 1940s-inspired storefront on 9th Avenue for some delightful cupcake snacking.
- Uber Perk: Choose one complimentary cookie pack or small coffee with the purchase of any other baked goodie.
Walk The High Line, again if you already have. There is so much happening along the beautiful public park which stretches from Gansevoort Street to West 43th Street, that it’s always worth going back for more. This weekend the park is celebrating the start of its Spring hours (now open daily 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM). Our suggestion? Get over there before Summer hits and the tourists invade!
Challenge friends to a game of bowling at Bowlmor Lanes within the Chelsea Piers complex. Bowlmor Lanes is a good one-stop-shop for food, drink and a little friendly competition.
- Uber Perk: Receive a FREE additional round of bowling when you show up with your Uber receipt. Note: After 6pm on Friday and Saturday, only the first 15 people can cash in on this deal.
Visit some galleries along 19th – 27th Streets (between 10th and 11th Avenues) and see what’s currently on exhibit. And don’t just swing by the big ones (i.e., Gagosian Gallery, David Zwirner); while these are still worth checking out, you can find some really interesting work in the smaller, more obscure galleries.
Pop in to S.K.U. (Save Khaki United) on 7th Avenue and browse through the trendy shop’s American-made men’s sportswear. If you are looking to improve your Spring wardrobe (or your boyfriend’s?), S.K.U. has you covered with their modern designs and highest quality fabrics.
- Uber Perk: Find something you like? Uber riders receive 15% off any full-priced item.
Bordeaux or Sancerre? Willamette Valley or North Coast? Swing by Chelsea Wine Vault inside Chelsea Market and choose a perfect weekend wine pairing. Chelsea Wine Vault’s fine wine selection is one of the most extensive in the city so be prepared to be happily overwhelmed.
- Uber Perk: Attend one of their Friday Flights Classes or Weekend Wine School Classes and receive $5 off the ticket price. Also, get a 10% discount on any regular priced wine, spirits or wine accessories.
Wander through Chelsea Market’s Artists & Fleas and get inspired by what NYC’s artisans are creating these days. Between the handmade jewelry, vintage clothing, hipster bike accessories, and redesigned home decor items, it’s almost guaranteed that you’ll get lost in there for a while.
Whether you’re lunching at Cull & Pistol, attending The McKittrick Hotel’s Sleep No More, or visiting David Zwirner Gallery, there is something for every New Yorker to enjoy. So head to Chelsea and discover some of the city’s best food, drink, art, and landscape all within its 5 X 20(ish) block radius. Uber on, and go explore!
This flu season, we’re delivering free flu-fighting care packages across the country. When you receive a pack, you’ll have the option to request a free flu shot from a registered nurse–for up to 5 people.
It’s official: the Uber Driver App for iOS is now available for download in the App Store. And to celebrate, we’ve put together a list of the top 9 things you probably didn’t know about the Uber Driver App for iOS. Once you’ve taken a look, head on over to the App Store and take it for a spin.