The Etiquette Guide
We’re excited to introduce uberPOOL, our in-app carpool option, to New Yorkers for a lot of reasons: It’s cheap and eco-friendly, safe and reliable, and as easy to use as tapping a button. And while it’s difficult to argue with an affordable transportation option that’s simple to use and has a positive impact on the environment, we get that some (we’re not saying you) may be hesitant at first to give it a shot—not because they don’t like the idea, but because it’s different. And it’s true, uberPOOL is different.
Since we completely understand that riding solo in the back seat and joining fellow New Yorkers in the same car are not the same thing, we thought we’d put together a proper uberPOOL Etiquette Guide to help ensure you and your uberPOOL co-rider(s) have the best experience possible.
Follow these simple tips and you’ll be the life of the POOL party:
1. Please be prompt! After arriving at your location, your uberPOOL driver will wait 2 minutes for you to hop in. You don’t want to make your co-rider wait, do you? (Correct answer: No.)
2. Best to keep all cell phone conversations to a minimum. That means no impassioned arguments with your significant other about dinner reservations, or drawn out conversations with your loud (but lovable) best friend.
3. Consider chatting about the weather or your favorite sandwich, but perhaps avoid any heated political debate. (Note: Heated debates—of any kind— are typically not recommended while in confined spaces.)
4. Rides to the gym—uberPOOL. Rides home after you’ve been working out and sweating for an hour—you may want your own car (please). Generally, it’s best to gut-check whether it’s an appropriate time to POOL.
5. By all means—enjoy a snack! But let’s be sure it has a cover or a wrapper, and is mess and aroma-free.
6. You never know who you’ll be riding with, so best practices may include popping a mint—just in case your POOL trip becomes a job interview.
7. Please respect the personal space of others. Refer to the figure below:
8. Please refrain from rolling down the windows on a beautiful, wintery, sub zero day to “enjoy the breeze.”
9. Your mother told you that patience is a virtue. And in this case, it also saves you money. Your uberPOOL trip may take a few minutes longer, but you’re guaranteed a cheaper fare. Keep calm and POOL on!
10. For many New Yorkers, time spent sitting in the back seat of an Uber is a sacred, rare moment for silence and decompression. So please don’t bug your co-rider to play 21 Questions (unless he or she has fully consented).
The truth is, we all want to spend less on transportation, we all want what’s best for the environment, and we all want a relaxing, comfortable Uber ride. So why not join the uberPOOL party and jump on in?
Teach your friends proper POOL etiquette!
Whether you’re a freshman or a senior headed back to campus this fall, one thing is certain—you’ll need to eat. And there is nothing worse than being limited to questionable cafeteria food or taking a chance on expired leftovers in the back of the fridge. The best news? UberEATS is expanding to 30+ major college campuses by the end of the year, from Penn State to LSU to Boise State. Since we want you to focus on what you love about college and not worry about your next meal, we’re predicting the 5 times you’ll need to order UberEATS this semester.
We are excited to surpass the 100th city mark by welcoming two Brazilian cities, Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte, to the UberEATS family. From Atlanta to Warsaw, people have truly embraced this easy and reliable way to discover the food they love at the push of a button. Whether that’s an Indian inspired samosa, a good old-fashioned American burger or Vietnamese pho, people in 27 countries are using UberEATS to get a taste of the world’s flavors at the push of a button.
We’re excited to expand the Uber for Business platform beyond business travel, to include a world-class customer transportation solution, Uber Central. With Uber Central, organizations of all shapes and sizes can now easily provide on-demand, door-to-door transportation for their customers, clients, and guests.