Uber NYC Statement
Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with the families and loved ones of those involved in this tragic accident. We are providing the NYPD all information that can assist in their investigation.
Here is what we know at this time:
- The driver is affiliated with Uber NYC through our Schmecken base as an UberBLACK partner.
- The driver is commercially licensed by the New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) and holds a commercial insurance policy in line with TLC and NY DMV requirements. According to the TLC’s data on license suspensions and revocations, the driver’s licensing is valid and active.
- The driver remained at the scene of the accident to assist authorities in their investigation. He was not charged with a criminal offense or taken into custody. As the investigation continues, the driver’s access to the Uber platform has been suspended.
- The driver had accepted a trip and was en route to pick up his customers at the time of the accident and he did not have any passengers in the car. He has completed 1,296 trips on the Uber platform and has a 4.86 out of 5 star rating.
- Upon learning of the accident through media on January 3, 2015, Uber representatives immediately reached out to the NYPD to offer assistance.
We’re excited to expand the Uber for Business platform beyond business travel, to include a world-class customer transportation solution, Uber Central. With Uber Central, organizations of all shapes and sizes can now easily provide on-demand, door-to-door transportation for their customers, clients, and guests.
A little over a year ago, we set out to put a new spin on an old classic–make reliable food delivery available at the tap of a button. Back then, we started by offering food in the UberEATS app from 1,000 pioneering restaurant partners in four cities. And today, more than 40,000 restaurants globally–from poke shops to pasta spots–are sharing food with customers through UberEATS. With a growing restaurant community comes more choices and more complexity. So we’re cooking up features to continue to make UberEATS easy and reliable. Here is a taste–
This flu season, we’re delivering free flu-fighting care packages across the country. When you receive a pack, you’ll have the option to request a free flu shot from a registered nurse–for up to 5 people.