St. Patrick’s Day Pro Tips
Chicago’s favorite weekend is finally here! From the parade to the after parties, we’re here to provide safe reliable rides all St. Patrick’s Day weekend long.
Check out our best pro tips to riding this St. Paddy’s Day:
PRO TIP #1: UBER IS DESIGNED WITH SAFETY IN MIND
We are committed to the safety of everyone using Uber. Our technology is designed to bring accountability and transparency to every ride so you can always feel safe taking an Uber.
- Confirm you’re getting in the right Uber. Double check both the plate number and driver photo before hopping in the car.
- Coordinate with your driver. Tap the “up arrow” next to the driver info and select “Contact Driver” to call or text your driver. Uber automatically anonymizes your number so you’re never sharing your personal information.
- Share your journey in real time. Use the “Share My ETA” feature to send your friends or family a map of your route and expected time of arrival.
- Provide feedback. Our feedback loop asks riders to rate every trip. We use that information to evaluate our driver partners.
- Review your receipt. Every Uber receipt includes your driver’s name, photo and route information from pickup to drop off. Your receipt is your detailed guide to your trip. Additional questions? Just reply to your receipt and a member of our support team will follow up shortly.
PRO TIP #2: UNDERSTANDING SURGE PRICING
During times when demand for rides outstrips the number of cars available, surge pricing will automatically go into effect to encourage more drivers to get out on the road. As demand goes down and more cars free up, the rates will go back to normal.
- Estimate your fare. We’ll always notify you in BIG, BOLD print if surge pricing is in effect and ask you to manually type in the higher multiple before you can request a ride. Enter your drop off location and tap “Fare Quote” to get an estimate of the cost of your ride.
PRO TIP #3: FARE SPLITTING = FAIR SPLITTING
Splitting the pub tab at the end of the night can be complicating. Sharing the ride home isn’t.
- Tap the “up arrow” next to your driver’s info and select “Split Fare.”
- Select the friends you’re riding with and tap “Send.”
- Your Uber-savvy friends will receive a message and be directed to the app to confirm.
- Your friends without Uber will be asked to download the app, sign up, and confirm their share of the ride.
PRO TIP #4: THE PERFECT PICKUP
Make sure your pickup is smooth, even after a few green beers.
- Manually enter your address so your driver knows where to meet you. Tap the address at the top of the screen to enter your location.
- Check the license plate and name of your driver at the bottom of the screen. Use this information to confirm the correct vehicle before hopping in.
- Having trouble connecting? Call or text your driver by tapping the up arrow button at the bottom of your screen and select “Contact Driver”.
- Enter your destination right in the app to ensure your ride is as seamless as your pickup. Your driver will receive turn by turn directions, while you sit back and relax.
PRO TIP #5: RIDER ETIQUETTE
Don’t be that guy/gal. Respect your Uber.
- Request uberX or UberBLACK, for 4 passengers or fewer. Have more than 4 passengers? Request uberXL or UberSUV. Don’t have these roomy options in your city? Request a second uberX or UberBLACK.
- Riding with Uber means there’s no need to tip. When you get to your destination, simply hop out and be on your way.
- Rate your driver based on his or her performance and quality of service. Drivers do not control the fare.
A few things to avoid while you’re riding:
- Illegal substances
Get decked out in green, do a little jig, and leave the rest to us.
Team Uber Chicago
Last updated March 11, 2016
On Friday, January 24, enter promo code HOCKEYFAN into your app and request BLACKHAWKS at 1pm for your chance to be picked up in an Uber driven by Chicago Blackhawks goalie Scott Darling.