The Ultimate Guide to Surviving Summer in Miami
You know it’s summer in Miami when the temperature hits 90 degrees before 10am. Other signs include afternoon rain showers, extreme humidity and pesky mosquitoes.
Whether you’ve championed the extreme weather in the past, or you’re new to the extreme heat, there’s a few things we think you should definitely know!
#1: STAY HYDRATED
- H2O: Staying hydrated is key to surviving the summer heat, this means drinking more water (sodas, coffees, etc. won’t do it). Make it a routine to fill up a water bottle before leaving home and re-fill hourly.
- H2O Foods: By eating more high water-content foods, you’ll also find it easier to stay hydrated. Watermelon, cucumbers, grapes, and cantaloupes contain 90% or higher water, so the more you eat, the less likely you are to become dehydrated.
#2: SLOW DOWN
- Cook Less: Cooking dinner means heating up your kitchen and yourself. Instead of over-exhausting yourself, download the uberEATS app and have your favorite foods delivered to your doorstep. Use code EATSMIASUMMER and take 50% off your first two orders (up to $15 each).
- Avoid Walking: Extreme heat is nothing to mess around with. Heat exhaustion can happen to anyone at anytime. Rather than walking in the heat, open your Uber app and have a ride come to you.
#3: STOCK UP ON THE ESSENTIALS
- Sunscreen: Whether or not you burn, wearing sunscreen is a must-do in Miami. The higher the SPF number, the more protected your skin will be from the sun.
- Bug Spray: Mosquitos love summer nights in Miami, so a bottle of bug spray goes a long way!
- Umbrella: Although they don’t last long, daily rain-showers are the norm in Miami. Your umbrella will come in handy and can also serve as a shield from the strong summer sun.
#4: COOL OFF
- Coral Gables Venetian Pool: Did you know there’s a spring water pool in Coral Gables that was created from a coral rock quarry in 1924? In fact, this Venetian pool is open daily to visitors like you! With its Venetian style bridges and unique architecture, you can cool off while feeling like you’re on a Mediterranean vacation. Admission is $13, but if you’re a Coral Gables resident you’ll only pay $5.50. Save even more by taking an uberPOOL there for only $3!
- The Ocean: The perk about living in Miami is having a massive swimming pool – aka the ocean – in your backyard. Grab your swimsuit and sunscreen and request a $3 POOL ride to the beach. To avoid strong sun, get up early and hit the beach first thing in the morning or head to the beach after 4:00 and catch the sunset.
#5: CHANGE UP YOUR ROUTINE
- Swap your workout for a water-sport: Release your inner-athlete while also staying cool by swapping your typical workout for a water-sport. If you’re an adrenaline junkie, check out local jet boat tours, jetpack sessions and fly-board experiences. If you’re looking for something a little slower, Miami also offers a variety of kayaking, water skiing, paddle boarding and sailboating spots.
- Commute Consciously: If you live in the POOL zone, you can commute to work for less than the cost of a cup of coffee. By swapping your car keys for a shared ride, you’ll avoid the hassle that goes along with driving your own vehicle and instead, start the day cool, calm and collected.
The truth is, summer in Miami is super hot, but that shouldn’t stop you from enjoying the perks of living in the 305. Get out and soak up the summer fun. Wherever you’re headed, we’ll take you there (and keep you cool while doing so).
We’re excited to expand the Uber for Business platform beyond business travel, to include a world-class customer transportation solution, Uber Central. With Uber Central, organizations of all shapes and sizes can now easily provide on-demand, door-to-door transportation for their customers, clients, and guests.
A little over a year ago, we set out to put a new spin on an old classic–make reliable food delivery available at the tap of a button. Back then, we started by offering food in the UberEATS app from 1,000 pioneering restaurant partners in four cities. And today, more than 40,000 restaurants globally–from poke shops to pasta spots–are sharing food with customers through UberEATS. With a growing restaurant community comes more choices and more complexity. So we’re cooking up features to continue to make UberEATS easy and reliable. Here is a taste–
This flu season, we’re delivering free flu-fighting care packages across the country. When you receive a pack, you’ll have the option to request a free flu shot from a registered nurse–for up to 5 people.