Expanding subsidized rides in Pinellas County
Since last February, Uber and the Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority (PSTA) have offered Pinellas County riders cheaper transportation to and from bus stops in select areas with the Direct Connect program.
Today, we’re excited to announce that we’re expanding the Direct Connect program to 8 bus stops in Pinellas County. All trips taken to or from the bus stops in the map below will be $5 off the regular uberX price.
Uber rider Sue is excited for the expansion, saying, “[The PSTA] bus system only runs until 9pm, and I don’t have a car. Now, I will have more options if I want to go anywhere other than the two miles around me. I have lived here 40 years, and we have a kicking downtown. This will make it easier for me to partake in the fun, get around, and enjoy the area around me.”
“This will make it easier for me to partake in the fun, get around, and enjoy the area around me.” —Sue, Uber rider
At Uber, we believe that ridesharing doesn’t compete with public transportation—it complements it. A recent study by the American Public Transportation Association found that:
- The more people use shared modes of transportation (like Uber), the more likely they are to use public transit, own fewer cars, and spend less on transportation overall.
- Shared modes of transportation complement public transit, enhancing urban mobility.
For commuters who don’t live within walking distance of public transit and don’t have access to a car, getting to and from the bus is half the battle. In addition to extending our partnership with the PSTA, Direct Connect bridges the gap between home and the bus—and, since the average Uber fare in Pinellas County is only around $11, without draining your wallet.
- Open the Uber app to enter your destination
- If you’re traveling to a bus station, enter the station location (see image). E.g. If you’re going to the stop in Tarpon Springs on Huey Ave and Lemon St, type in “Huey and Lemon”
- If you’re starting at a bus station, select a destination that is inside the same zone (e.g. If you’re starting at Huey and Lemon, select a destination anywhere within the Tarpon Springs area)
- Below the map, swipe right to select the PSTA option
- If the ride is eligible, you’ll be able to view the upfront price with the discount already built in
- Tap Request
- That’s it! Take a ride to or from one of the designated bus stops and PSTA will cover $5 of your fare.
We’re excited to expand the Uber for Business platform beyond business travel, to include a world-class customer transportation solution, Uber Central. With Uber Central, organizations of all shapes and sizes can now easily provide on-demand, door-to-door transportation for their customers, clients, and guests.
A little over a year ago, we set out to put a new spin on an old classic–make reliable food delivery available at the tap of a button. Back then, we started by offering food in the UberEATS app from 1,000 pioneering restaurant partners in four cities. And today, more than 40,000 restaurants globally–from poke shops to pasta spots–are sharing food with customers through UberEATS. With a growing restaurant community comes more choices and more complexity. So we’re cooking up features to continue to make UberEATS easy and reliable. Here is a taste–
This flu season, we’re delivering free flu-fighting care packages across the country. When you receive a pack, you’ll have the option to request a free flu shot from a registered nurse–for up to 5 people.