How to Prepare for Hurricane Matthew in South Florida
Hurricane season is here, South Florida.
When it comes to Hurricane Matthew hitting South Florida, it’s crucial to be prepared. We’ve put together a few items to keep in mind so you can be as prepared as possible.
Prepare with a Storm Supply Kit
- Non-perishable Food
- Gallons of Water
- Manual can-opener
- Paper cups, plates and paper towels
- Battery powered radio
- Extra batteries
- First aid Kit
- Personal Sanitation & hygiene supplies
- Local maps
- Solar, portable cell phone charger,
- Deck of Cards
- Trash Bags
- Prescriptions, vitamins, eyeglasses
- Sleeping bag & pillows
Secure Your Home
Before the storm hits, you’ll want to bring inside your outdoor furniture, bicycles, plants and garbage bins. It’s also a good idea to:
- Protect areas in your home where wind can enter. Secure windows and doors.
- Unplug appliances
- Turn your refrigerator and freezer to the coldest setting and keep them closed (food will last longer if the power goes out)
Keep Safety Top Of Mind Throughout the Storm
Although they may seem obvious, keep these safety tips in mind:
- Be aware of downed trees, power lines, and fallen debris.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you experience flooding. Be sure to shut off utilities.
- Avoid walking through floodwater areas- the depth of water may not always be obvious.
- Learn local evacuation centers and evacuation routes
Uber rides will be affected by the storm
Anytime a disaster or state of emergency strikes, surge pricing is capped, meaning prices will not exceed 2.9x the normal fare. This reflects Uber’s national policy that balances the goal of reliable transportation options with affordability during disasters. A few things to be aware of:
- Higher than normal ETAs: Please be patient as demand for rides may be higher and wait times may be longer than usual
- Take caution: Please monitor news sources for the most up-to-date information about the storm and follow federal, state, and local safety directives.
Most importantly, in case of an emergency, please follow any and all state and local emergency protocols.
We’re excited to expand the Uber for Business platform beyond business travel, to include a world-class customer transportation solution, Uber Central. With Uber Central, organizations of all shapes and sizes can now easily provide on-demand, door-to-door transportation for their customers, clients, and guests.
A little over a year ago, we set out to put a new spin on an old classic–make reliable food delivery available at the tap of a button. Back then, we started by offering food in the UberEATS app from 1,000 pioneering restaurant partners in four cities. And today, more than 40,000 restaurants globally–from poke shops to pasta spots–are sharing food with customers through UberEATS. With a growing restaurant community comes more choices and more complexity. So we’re cooking up features to continue to make UberEATS easy and reliable. Here is a taste–
This flu season, we’re delivering free flu-fighting care packages across the country. When you receive a pack, you’ll have the option to request a free flu shot from a registered nurse–for up to 5 people.