Ridesharing 101: Staying Safe on Campus
Get into a car with a total stranger.
The idea sounds like everything Mom warned you not to do as a child, right? But today, there are more than 8 million people worldwide using ridesharing services, so maybe Mom needs to tweak her advice.
Fighting drunk driving
For many college students, ridesharing is an essential—whether you request a ride because you don’t own a car, you don’t feel like dealing with the hassle and price of parking, or you’ve been drinking and don’t want to get behind the wheel. But we still have a ways to go.
According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), there were 685 drunk driving fatalities in Florida last year, representing 27.5% of all total traffic deaths.
That statistic doesn’t have to stay so astoundingly large.
As Uber comes to more and more college towns, it’s our hope that students will opt to request a ride rather than get behind the wheel while under the influence.
Staying safe while ridesharing
Any service that’s become a part of your everyday life shouldn’t make you second-guess your safety.
One of Uber’s main goals is to make every trip safe and reliable, so you can relax from the moment you request a ride to the moment you’re dropped off at your dorm. Here’s how our technology keeps you safe:
- You can wait inside. Your driver is given directions to your pickup point, and you’re notified when they’re arriving. That way, there’s no need to flag them down. You can wait for your ride from the comfort of your own dorm instead of curbside or down the block.
- Your lost stuff can be found. If you leave something behind in your ride—who hasn’t left their phone in a ride?—no sweat. Uber lets you contact your driver after the trip to get your belongings back.
- Your digits are private. Uber’s technology anonymizes your phone number, so when you and your driver need to contact each other, your personal info stays confidential.
- You don’t need cash. Your payment method is on file in the app, which eliminates the potential worry that comes with carrying cash for both riders and drivers.
- Loved ones can track your trip. Use the Share My ETA feature to—yup, you guessed it—share your ETA with family and friends and send them a live map, so they know exactly where you are.
But there are always steps you can take to make every trip safer. How to be a proactive Uber rider:
- Don’t ever get into a ride you didn’t request. Uber’s technology connects riders and drivers—that way, there’s a record of your trip, from the minute you tap “Request” to when you get out of the car.
- Double-check that the car waiting curbside matches the info found in the app. Uber provides riders with the driver’s car make and model, license plate number, and photo for you to confirm that you’re getting into the right vehicle.
- See if your school offers Safe Rides. Uber partners with colleges to offer discounted rides on specific days or times of day. That way, the next time your DD ended up drinking, you can request a Safe Ride for cheap.
- If you feel unsafe on your trip, please let us know. We want to make it right. To report an incident or concern, enter it in the Feedback box right after completing a trip, reply to the receipt you receive in your inbox, or, to retroactively file a report:
- Tap the menu button in the upper-left corner.
- Tap Trips, then select the trip you want to report.
- Tap Need Help?.
- Select the appropriate inquiry, then follow the prompts to complete your report.
We’re excited to expand the Uber for Business platform beyond business travel, to include a world-class customer transportation solution, Uber Central. With Uber Central, organizations of all shapes and sizes can now easily provide on-demand, door-to-door transportation for their customers, clients, and guests.
A little over a year ago, we set out to put a new spin on an old classic–make reliable food delivery available at the tap of a button. Back then, we started by offering food in the UberEATS app from 1,000 pioneering restaurant partners in four cities. And today, more than 40,000 restaurants globally–from poke shops to pasta spots–are sharing food with customers through UberEATS. With a growing restaurant community comes more choices and more complexity. So we’re cooking up features to continue to make UberEATS easy and reliable. Here is a taste–
This flu season, we’re delivering free flu-fighting care packages across the country. When you receive a pack, you’ll have the option to request a free flu shot from a registered nurse–for up to 5 people.