uberPOOL: The Etiquette Guide
With uberPOOL, DC has a new affordable, eco-friendly, safe, and reliable ride. And while it’s difficult to argue with an affordable transportation option that’s simple to use, we get that some (we’re not saying you) may be hesitant at first to give it a shot—not because they don’t like the idea, but because it’s different. And it’s true, uberPOOL is different.
We understand that riding solo in the back seat and joining fellow Washingtonians in the same car are not the same thing. With that in mind, we thought we’d put together a proper uberPOOL Etiquette Guide to help ensure you and your uberPOOL co-rider(s) have the best experience possible.
Follow these simple tips and you’ll be the life of the POOL party:
1. Please be prompt! You don’t want to make your co-rider wait, do you? (Correct answer: No.)
2. Best to keep all cell phone conversations to a minimum. That means no impassioned arguments with your significant other about dinner reservations, or drawn out conversations with your loud (but lovable) best friend.
3. Consider chatting about the weather or your favorite sandwich, but perhaps avoid any heated political debate. (Note: Heated debates—of any kind— are typically not recommended while in confined spaces.)
4. Rides to the gym—uberPOOL. Rides home after you’ve been working out and sweating for an hour—you may want your own car. Generally, it’s best to gut-check whether it’s an appropriate time to POOL.
5. By all means—enjoy a snack! But let’s be sure it has a cover or a wrapper, and is mess and aroma-free.
6. You never know who you’ll be riding with, so best practices may include popping a mint—just in case your POOL trip becomes a job interview.
7. Please respect the personal space of others. Refer to the figure below:
8. Please refrain from rolling down the windows on a cold night to “enjoy the breeze.” The same courtesy applies to those AC deniers.
9. Your mother told you that patience is a virtue. And in this case, it also saves you money. Your uberPOOL trip may take a few minutes longer, but you’re guaranteed a cheaper fare. Keep calm and POOL on!
10. For many Washingtonians, time spent sitting in the back seat of an Uber is a sacred, rare moment for silence and decompression. So please don’t bug your co-rider to play 21 Questions (unless he or she has fully consented).
The truth is, we all want to spend less on transportation, we all want what’s best for the environment, and we all want a relaxing, comfortable Uber ride. So why not join the uberPOOL party and jump on in?
We’re excited to expand the Uber for Business platform beyond business travel, to include a world-class customer transportation solution, Uber Central. With Uber Central, organizations of all shapes and sizes can now easily provide on-demand, door-to-door transportation for their customers, clients, and guests.
A little over a year ago, we set out to put a new spin on an old classic–make reliable food delivery available at the tap of a button. Back then, we started by offering food in the UberEATS app from 1,000 pioneering restaurant partners in four cities. And today, more than 40,000 restaurants globally–from poke shops to pasta spots–are sharing food with customers through UberEATS. With a growing restaurant community comes more choices and more complexity. So we’re cooking up features to continue to make UberEATS easy and reliable. Here is a taste–
This flu season, we’re delivering free flu-fighting care packages across the country. When you receive a pack, you’ll have the option to request a free flu shot from a registered nurse–for up to 5 people.