DC’s Top Waterfront Destinations
Sure—taking a cold shower or standing in front of your open freezer are all fine ways to beat the DC heat, but if you really want to cool off this summer, Uber’s put together several ways to chill out right here in town, starting with a list of waterfront day trips. With our 25% price cut on uberX, getting there has never been more of a breeze.
For the Weekend Warrior: Hains Point and Gangplank Marina
Active types are just an Uber away from a bevy of outdoor adventures along the Southwest Waterfront.
- Tee off for a round of 9 or 18 holes at East Potomac Golf Course at Hains Point, boasting Potomac River-and-monument views beyond its lush greens.
- Then, walk across the street to take a dip in the Olympic-size East Potomac Pool—free for DC residents and home to several District swim teams. The snack bar serves up summer fare from fries to ice cream.
- Looking to feel the wind in your sails? Uber over to the Gangplank Marina on the Potomac, just 7 minutes away ($5-$7 on uberX). The DC Sail school offers programs for both adults and kids.
Average Fare to Hains Point from Dupont Circle: $10-$14 on uberX (14 minutes)
For the Perfect Day Date: Alexandria to National Harbor
While the bright lights of National Harbor’s hotels and burgeoning casinos can seem a world away from Old Town Alexandria across the Potomac River, the two DC-area entertainment destinations have never been closer when linked through a quick and cheap Uber ride.
- Walk the tree-lined streets and red-brick sidewalks that wind through historic Old Town Alexandria, and grab a seafood lunch at The Wharf.
- Then, explore funky Del Ray and its quirky arts scene, a short 5-minute ride away ($4 on uberX). There, you can take in a concert at the nationally acclaimed Birchmere music hall after you nosh on sweets from Artfully Chocolate, listed on Travel + Leisure’s “America’s Best Hot Chocolate” list.
- Finally, hedge your bets on a night to remember by Ubering across the river to National Harbor. Savor the luxe offerings of the award-winning Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center by having a cocktail in the towering glass atrium before dinner at Old Hickory Steakhouse. Stock up on designer duds at Tanger Outlets, or get a bird’s-eye view of the city from the newly opened Capitol Wheel. The sky(line) is the limit.
Average fare from Alexandria to National Harbor: $10-$13 on uberX (11 minutes)
For Nature Lovers and Historians: Georgetown and Teddy Roosevelt Island
Some of DC’s most historic gems are nestled off the beaten path—with very little parking.
- Step into history with a day trip to Georgetown. Indulge in a little retail therapy at the shops on M Street, have brunch at the scenic Sequoia restaurant, and take a walk along Georgetown Waterfront Park overlooking the Kennedy Center.
- Then, grab a couple of picnic essentials at Dean & Deluca on M Street (think: French bread, artisanal cheeses, and speciality sodas) and Uber over to Teddy Roosevelt Island, just over Key Bridge. The presidential sanctuary boasts more than 3 miles of trails and an impressive memorial to the 26th President in the middle of the Potomac River.
Average fare from Georgetown to Teddy Roosevelt Island: $9-$10 on uberX (8 minutes)
Why stay in and hug the AC when the coolest capital city is waiting at your fingertips? Go ahead. Get your summer Uber on.
Whether you’re a freshman or a senior headed back to campus this fall, one thing is certain—you’ll need to eat. And there is nothing worse than being limited to questionable cafeteria food or taking a chance on expired leftovers in the back of the fridge. The best news? UberEATS is expanding to 30+ major college campuses by the end of the year, from Penn State to LSU to Boise State. Since we want you to focus on what you love about college and not worry about your next meal, we’re predicting the 5 times you’ll need to order UberEATS this semester.
We are excited to surpass the 100th city mark by welcoming two Brazilian cities, Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte, to the UberEATS family. From Atlanta to Warsaw, people have truly embraced this easy and reliable way to discover the food they love at the push of a button. Whether that’s an Indian inspired samosa, a good old-fashioned American burger or Vietnamese pho, people in 27 countries are using UberEATS to get a taste of the world’s flavors at the push of a button.
We’re excited to expand the Uber for Business platform beyond business travel, to include a world-class customer transportation solution, Uber Central. With Uber Central, organizations of all shapes and sizes can now easily provide on-demand, door-to-door transportation for their customers, clients, and guests.