Uber 101: An Intro to Uber
Uber 101: An Intro to Uber
Welcome to the best class you’ve ever taken. Everything you need to know about Uber is right here!
First things first, you’ll need to create your rider account. You can do that here.
- WHERE TO TAKE UBER
- FARE SPLITTING
- RIDER ETIQUETTE
- YOUR PERFECT PICKUP
- DYNAMIC PRICING
- SAFETY FIRST
- EXTRA CREDIT
WHERE TO TAKE UBER
Uber isn’t just for getting to that big party, you can take it anywhere.
Here are a few ideas:
- Grocery store
- Dinner plans
- Places with limited parking
FARE SPLITTING = FAIR SPLITTING
Rolling with a crew? You can split the fare with your friends without making things complicated.
How to split your fare once you’ve requested a ride:
- Tap the lower menu where your driver’s information is displayed
- Tap the “Split Fare” option
- Invite the friends you’re riding with and tap “Send”.
- Your Uber-savvy friends will receive a message and taken directly to the app to confirm.
- Your friends without Uber will be asked to download the app, sign up, and confirm their share of the ride.
Don’t be that guy/gal.
Here are a few tips so you can be the classiest rider around:
- Have 4 passengers? Request uberX or UberBLACK. Have more than 4 passengers? Request uberXL or UberSUV.
- Riding Uber means there’s no need to tip! When you get to your destination, you can simply hop out and be on your way.
- Rate your driver based on their performance and quality of service. Drivers do not control the fare. If you have a question, reply to your receipt and we’ll be happy to review your trip!
What’s not allowed in the car:
- Illegal substances (duh – it’s the law!)
PERFECTING THE PICKUP
With so much going on, often times everyone will be moving around at the same time.
Don’t let that stop you with these easy tips:
- Manually enter your address so your driver knows where to meet you. Select the address at the top of the screen to enter your location.
- Confirm you’re getting in the right Uber. Double check the license plate number matches the car’s plate and photo matches the driver. Confirm your driver’s name and tell him or her your name.
- Need to contact your driver? Tap the “up arrow” next to the driver info and select “Contact Driver” to call or text your driver. Uber automatically anonymizes your number so you’re never sharing your personal information.
UNDERSTANDING DYNAMIC PRICING
Our goal is to be the most reliable ride on the road and sometimes dynamic pricing will automatically go into effect to encourage more drivers to get out on the road. As demand goes down and more cars free up, the rates will go back to normal.
Follow these tips to get around SD during times of peak demand:
- Know when Uber demand is highest (like after concerts, when the bars close, and after a big game).
- Always notified in advance. You’ll always be notified in advance and asked to confirm any increased rates, and you can always estimate your fare before requesting. Here’s a video that explains what dynamic pricing looks like in the app.
- You ALWAYS have options. For those with flexible schedules, hold out for a ride and be notified when surge drops. Once dynamic pricing lowers, make your request. For those on a tight schedule, get a fare estimate on another vehicle option to see what best fits your budget. If one vehicle type has dynamic pricing in effect, simply select a different vehicle type.
UBER IS DESIGNED WITH SAFETY IN MIND
We are committed to the safety of everyone using Uber. Our technology is designed to bring accountability and transparency to every ride so you can always feel safe taking Uber.
Here are some of our features:
- Share your journey in real-time. Use the “Share My ETA” feature to send your friends or family a map of your route and expected time of arrival.
- Provide feedback. Our feedback loop asks riders to rate every trip. We take this feedback seriously – depending on the circumstances, rider feedback may lead to deactivating a partner from the system or serve as validation that the driver is providing great service.
- Detailed receipts. Every Uber receipt includes your driver’s name, photo and route information from pickup to drop-off. Your receipt is your detailed summary of your trip. Additional questions? Just reply to your receipt and a member of our support team will follow up shortly!
- Apply for our Brand Ambassador Team
Last updated March 11, 2016
Whether you’re a freshman or a senior headed back to campus this fall, one thing is certain—you’ll need to eat. And there is nothing worse than being limited to questionable cafeteria food or taking a chance on expired leftovers in the back of the fridge. The best news? UberEATS is expanding to 30+ major college campuses by the end of the year, from Penn State to LSU to Boise State. Since we want you to focus on what you love about college and not worry about your next meal, we’re predicting the 5 times you’ll need to order UberEATS this semester.
We are excited to surpass the 100th city mark by welcoming two Brazilian cities, Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte, to the UberEATS family. From Atlanta to Warsaw, people have truly embraced this easy and reliable way to discover the food they love at the push of a button. Whether that’s an Indian inspired samosa, a good old-fashioned American burger or Vietnamese pho, people in 27 countries are using UberEATS to get a taste of the world’s flavors at the push of a button.
We’re excited to expand the Uber for Business platform beyond business travel, to include a world-class customer transportation solution, Uber Central. With Uber Central, organizations of all shapes and sizes can now easily provide on-demand, door-to-door transportation for their customers, clients, and guests.