Updated Cancellation Policy
What’s the Uber cancellation policy? That’s a question we get a lot – and until now, like a bad Facebook status, it was complicated. Drivers feeling burned after long pickups. Riders getting surprised by drivers showing up in 30 seconds (yes, it happens :) …)
Starting today, you will be charged a $10* cancellation fee only if you cancel more than 5 minutes after your driver has been assigned.
Why the change?
- Simplicity – Peace of mind knowing you have 5 minutes to cancel in case something comes up.
- Fairness – Drivers make a commitment to come to you after they accept a trip request. It costs them time and money to get to you. After more than 5 minutes, it’s only fair that drivers are compensated for the time spent.
- A Better Uber – When riders cancel frequently, drivers feel burned and are less likely to accept pickups. This leads to drivers rejecting longer pickups or calling clients to make sure that they want a pickup. Uber is efficient and elegant transportation. Unnecessary phone calls and rejected pickups are not Uber.
The fine print:
- If you cancel within 5 minutes, you won’t be charged.
- If you tap the cancel button after 5 minutes, we will let you know that a $10* fee will apply if you confirm the cancellation.
- If for any reason your driver takes too long to get to you (the current ETA prediction for your driver shows the driver would arrive 5 minutes over the original ETA we provided) then the cancellation charge will be waived.
- If you are not at the pickup location or your driver cannot get in touch with you, our $10* cancellation fee will still apply.
So be sure to cancel as soon as possible to avoid a charge and more importantly, maintain the Uber equilibrium of happy riders and happy drivers :) And as always, if you have a question about a charge, just reply to your email receipt or reach out to your city’s community manager.
*NOTE: if in a non-US city, cancellation fee will be in your local currency. Examples: £10, $10 CAD, $10 AUD, 10 EURO. When canceling a ride with TAXI, the fee is $5.
We’re excited to expand the Uber for Business platform beyond business travel, to include a world-class customer transportation solution, Uber Central. With Uber Central, organizations of all shapes and sizes can now easily provide on-demand, door-to-door transportation for their customers, clients, and guests.
A little over a year ago, we set out to put a new spin on an old classic–make reliable food delivery available at the tap of a button. Back then, we started by offering food in the UberEATS app from 1,000 pioneering restaurant partners in four cities. And today, more than 40,000 restaurants globally–from poke shops to pasta spots–are sharing food with customers through UberEATS. With a growing restaurant community comes more choices and more complexity. So we’re cooking up features to continue to make UberEATS easy and reliable. Here is a taste–
This flu season, we’re delivering free flu-fighting care packages across the country. When you receive a pack, you’ll have the option to request a free flu shot from a registered nurse–for up to 5 people.