Updated Cancellation Policy
What’s the Uber cancellation policy? That’s a question we get a lot – and until now, like a bad Facebook status, it was complicated. Drivers feeling burned after long pickups. Riders getting surprised by drivers showing up in 30 seconds (yes, it happens :) …)
Starting today, you will be charged a $10* cancellation fee only if you cancel more than 5 minutes after your driver has been assigned.
Why the change?
- Simplicity – Peace of mind knowing you have 5 minutes to cancel in case something comes up.
- Fairness – Drivers make a commitment to come to you after they accept a trip request. It costs them time and money to get to you. After more than 5 minutes, it’s only fair that drivers are compensated for the time spent.
- A Better Uber – When riders cancel frequently, drivers feel burned and are less likely to accept pickups. This leads to drivers rejecting longer pickups or calling clients to make sure that they want a pickup. Uber is efficient and elegant transportation. Unnecessary phone calls and rejected pickups are not Uber.
The fine print:
- If you cancel within 5 minutes, you won’t be charged.
- If you tap the cancel button after 5 minutes, we will let you know that a $10* fee will apply if you confirm the cancellation.
- If for any reason your driver takes too long to get to you (the current ETA prediction for your driver shows the driver would arrive 5 minutes over the original ETA we provided) then the cancellation charge will be waived.
- If you are not at the pickup location or your driver cannot get in touch with you, our $10* cancellation fee will still apply.
So be sure to cancel as soon as possible to avoid a charge and more importantly, maintain the Uber equilibrium of happy riders and happy drivers :) And as always, if you have a question about a charge, just reply to your email receipt or reach out to your city’s community manager.
*NOTE: if in a non-US city, cancellation fee will be in your local currency. Examples: £10, $10 CAD, $10 AUD, 10 EURO. When canceling a ride with TAXI, the fee is $5.
This flu season, we’re delivering free flu-fighting care packages across the country. When you receive a pack, you’ll have the option to request a free flu shot from a registered nurse–for up to 5 people.
It’s official: the Uber Driver App for iOS is now available for download in the App Store. And to celebrate, we’ve put together a list of the top 9 things you probably didn’t know about the Uber Driver App for iOS. Once you’ve taken a look, head on over to the App Store and take it for a spin.