Updated Cancellation Policy
What’s the Uber cancellation policy? That’s a question we get a lot – and until now, like a bad Facebook status, it was complicated. Drivers feeling burned after long pickups. Riders getting surprised by drivers showing up in 30 seconds (yes, it happens :) …)
Starting today, you will be charged a $10* cancellation fee only if you cancel more than 5 minutes after your driver has been assigned.
Why the change?
- Simplicity – Peace of mind knowing you have 5 minutes to cancel in case something comes up.
- Fairness – Drivers make a commitment to come to you after they accept a trip request. It costs them time and money to get to you. After more than 5 minutes, it’s only fair that drivers are compensated for the time spent.
- A Better Uber – When riders cancel frequently, drivers feel burned and are less likely to accept pickups. This leads to drivers rejecting longer pickups or calling clients to make sure that they want a pickup. Uber is efficient and elegant transportation. Unnecessary phone calls and rejected pickups are not Uber.
The fine print:
- If you cancel within 5 minutes, you won’t be charged.
- If you tap the cancel button after 5 minutes, we will let you know that a $10* fee will apply if you confirm the cancellation.
- If for any reason your driver takes too long to get to you (the current ETA prediction for your driver shows the driver would arrive 5 minutes over the original ETA we provided) then the cancellation charge will be waived.
- If you are not at the pickup location or your driver cannot get in touch with you, our $10* cancellation fee will still apply.
So be sure to cancel as soon as possible to avoid a charge and more importantly, maintain the Uber equilibrium of happy riders and happy drivers :) And as always, if you have a question about a charge, just reply to your email receipt or reach out to your city’s community manager.
*NOTE: if in a non-US city, cancellation fee will be in your local currency. Examples: £10, $10 CAD, $10 AUD, 10 EURO. When canceling a ride with TAXI, the fee is $5.
As a data-driven company, we understand the power of information for communities. Since day one, our mission has been to connect people with reliable rides through the use of data and technology. As our footprint has grown throughout the years, so has our ability to use the Uber network in different ways. Starting today and […]
Today, we are excited to announce that Uber will give $5.5M to support a new robotics faculty chair as well as three fellowships at CMU. This gift is part of a partnership we announced earlier this year. In addition, we’re pumped to be part of a growing innovation ecosystem in Pittsburgh that includes world leading research institutions and companies, as well as an increasing number of start-ups.