Happy New Year from Uber Cape Town
This New Year’s Eve we expect to deliver more than 2 million rides in just 24 hours. We’re excited to be part of this celebratory night for so many people around the world, and are proud of our role in ensuring safe, reliable rides during a time when impaired driving rates are at their highest.
We expect this New Year’s Eve to be our busiest night ever.
On busy nights with peak demand – like New Year’s Eve – we use surge pricing to get enough cars on the road and help ensure you always have a reliable ride.
THE BEST TIME TO RIDE
On New Year’s Eve, everyone is looking for rides at exactly the same times. We expect demand to pick up around 18:00 as people head out for the evening, with an initial peak in demand around 21:00. While surge pricing is likely to be in effect for the whole night, we expect the highest fares between 00:30 and 04:00.
You’re likely sharing the night with friends or family, so why not share the cost of your ride home too? Split the fare and no one gets left behind or stuck with the bill.
Thank you for making Uber part of your year.
New Year’s Eve also marks a time to look back and to move forward. As we reflect on the past year, we’re proud of what the Uber community has done together:
- A lot of ground was covered. 140 million rides in more than 50 countries, from Los Angeles, to Phuket, and everywhere in between.
- Together, we made city streets safer. By choosing Uber instead of drinking and driving, cities are seeing a significant decline in DUIs.
- We sparked change. Approximately 500,000 people have signed petitions in support of ridesharing across the globe.
- Your music, with your ride. The Uber + Spotify global integration enabled riders to enjoy their ride with a custom soundtrack.
- You screamed for ice cream. And we served it up around the world with UberICECREAM. Over 250,000 ice cream bars were served.
- We’re reducing the need for car ownership. UberPOOL became a reality in San Francisco, Paris and New York – every shared ride you took brought us closer to the goal of taking millions of cars off the road.
- We’re driving out child hunger. By raising and donating #5MillionMeals to No Kid Hungry in the USA.
- And so much more. Eight couples had UberWEDDINGs, we delivered sky writing love notes on Valentine’s Day, and Uber played an important role in at least one baby being born!
As we look to 2015, we are energized by the work ahead and inspired by what more we can all do together. Have a safe, happy New Year, and thank you all for including us on your journey—we’re glad you’ve joined us for ours.
Lots of Love,
Team Uber Cape Town
Get Social with Uber Cape Town!
Bustling streets, dynamic skylines and an exotic nightlife are just a few of the things that make Africa one of the most vibrant hubs in the world. At Uber, we believe that the real magic starts in your very own backyard, which is why we’re giving you the ultimate reason to explore your city this […]
Make the most of your Irish revelry this Thursday, by heading to one of these #UberApproved parties. Simply ride, show your Uber receipt and indulge in a bit of Irish luck! JOHANNESBURG COLONY ARMS: Jozi’s famous watering hole will be handing out a free shooter or beer to everyone who rides with Uber this […]