uberPOOL: The Magic of Matching
Did you know that without technology, it would take us about 6,000 tries to match two random people who are heading in the same direction? Today, the technology we use in uberPOOL has allowed us to do just that within seconds, and at a tap of a button.
How do we it? Here’s our secret.
1) Relevant data: Uber’s global network allows us to collect data from billions of trips around the world, analyse patterns and iterate on our dispatch algorithm. We have an operations team in every local city who further adapts the logic based on city infrastructure, rider behaviour and more. This unique combination of central knowledge with hyperlocal insights helps seamlessly integrate carpooling into everyday life.
2) Tens of thousands of cars: Uber platform enables existing driver-partners to accept both uberPOOL and uberX rides. Our top priority is to ensure that there is always an Uber available at the tap of a button. Meaning, riders can seamlessly request either an uberPOOL or uberX without having to worry about where they are or what time it is.
3) Dynamic matching: When deciding whether or not to make a match, the uberPOOL algorithm takes into consideration multiple constraints – with transformative results for drivers and riders. Some of these include:
- Inconvenience: We make sure riders are not made to wait to a point where the trade off between a cheaper ride is not worth the amount of savings. We always consider the additional time added to your ride while enjoying a cheaper POOL ride.
- Driver destination: Our driver destination feature allows drivers to indicate their last stop home at the end of the day. Once turned on, an uberPOOL request is matched only if the riders are heading towards the same direction – making it a magical experience for riders and drivers alike.
Every city is different – its roads, highways and travel patterns add a layer of complexity. But with a combination of relevant data, smart engineering and a lot of hustle, we’re constantly working to improve so as to ensure that every ride you take with Uber is a magical experience.
We’re excited to expand the Uber for Business platform beyond business travel, to include a world-class customer transportation solution, Uber Central. With Uber Central, organizations of all shapes and sizes can now easily provide on-demand, door-to-door transportation for their customers, clients, and guests.
A little over a year ago, we set out to put a new spin on an old classic–make reliable food delivery available at the tap of a button. Back then, we started by offering food in the UberEATS app from 1,000 pioneering restaurant partners in four cities. And today, more than 40,000 restaurants globally–from poke shops to pasta spots–are sharing food with customers through UberEATS. With a growing restaurant community comes more choices and more complexity. So we’re cooking up features to continue to make UberEATS easy and reliable. Here is a taste–
This flu season, we’re delivering free flu-fighting care packages across the country. When you receive a pack, you’ll have the option to request a free flu shot from a registered nurse–for up to 5 people.