Behind the Wheel with…Steve, uberX partner
Here at Uber, we are proud to have thousands of veterans, service members, and military spouses driving as partners. One of these partners is Steve. Steve spent five years with the Navy and then two with the National Guard. He now lives in Bay Harbor Islands with his wife and three girls, a 5-year-old and 3-year-old twins. (Needless to say, he has his hands full.) Steve has been driving on the Uber platform for just over a month, but he says it’s been a total game-changer. His wife, who is also in the military, is currently a full-time chef for the Coast Guard in Miami. As a result, Steve spends a lot of time with the kids. On top of that, he is a full-time student at Florida International University, so he needs an opportunity that would provide flexibility. Before discovering Uber, Steve said he and his wife were struggling to decide whether or not a life in Miami would work out for them. As it turned out, landing an opportunity as an Uber partner allowed them to stay. He now puts in 20-25 hours a week on the Uber platform, allowing him to spend the rest of his time at school and with his kids.
Steve is originally from New York. He grew up living in Brooklyn, Queens, and Long Island. (He did the rounds.) He also spent a great deal of his childhood in Fort Myers, FL. Later in life, enlisted with the Navy and spent four years on active duty driving submarines. Though he was based out of New London, CT, he spent much of his time traveling the world, patrolling the coasts. After active duty, he returned to New York on reserve. A year later, he decided to pick up and move to Georgia, where he ended up getting a job back in the service—this time with the National Guard. After moving around a bit more, Steve eventually found himself in San Francisco. There, he went to art school and studied film. “I always just enjoyed making things,” he says, offering insight into his passion for filmmaking. Even now as a dad, student, and Miami Uber partner, he still finds time to create short films.
Fun Facts About Steve:
- Steve loves making movies, and was the lead assistant during the production the Japanese band Pop Disaster‘s music video in San Francisco.
- Every year he enters the Doritos NFL commercial contest.
- Steve is currently studying geology at Miami-Dade College. Next fall he will enroll at FIU. He has two years of school left, after which he plans to start a career as an environmental consultant.
- He drives a Mazda 5 on the Uber platform, which he says is great since it has enough space for his family, but doesn’t look like a total dad mobile.
- When he’s not driving, studying, or potty training his twin girls, Steve can be found down by the river with his friend helping him build a magnificent wooden boat. The two of them even put together a Kickstarter campaign to help fund the project, called The Pettersson Retro. Check out Steve’s film about The Pettersson Retro (along with his other videos) here.
Whether you’re a freshman or a senior headed back to campus this fall, one thing is certain—you’ll need to eat. And there is nothing worse than being limited to questionable cafeteria food or taking a chance on expired leftovers in the back of the fridge. The best news? UberEATS is expanding to 30+ major college campuses by the end of the year, from Penn State to LSU to Boise State. Since we want you to focus on what you love about college and not worry about your next meal, we’re predicting the 5 times you’ll need to order UberEATS this semester.
We are excited to surpass the 100th city mark by welcoming two Brazilian cities, Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte, to the UberEATS family. From Atlanta to Warsaw, people have truly embraced this easy and reliable way to discover the food they love at the push of a button. Whether that’s an Indian inspired samosa, a good old-fashioned American burger or Vietnamese pho, people in 27 countries are using UberEATS to get a taste of the world’s flavors at the push of a button.
We’re excited to expand the Uber for Business platform beyond business travel, to include a world-class customer transportation solution, Uber Central. With Uber Central, organizations of all shapes and sizes can now easily provide on-demand, door-to-door transportation for their customers, clients, and guests.