Know Your Airport: JFK, LaGuardia and Newark
Getting to or leaving from an airport in New York City can be a hassle.
JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark airports make up the largest airport system in the United States. Knowing how to arrive on time or depart with ease from one of these three major airports is crucial to avoiding unexpected delays and unwanted surprises.
Here we offer some helpful information to help ensure an on-time departure or an easy escape.
Resources for All NYC Airports:
- Uber airport pages: Our airport pages offer all the information needed about requesting an Uber at LaGuardia, JFK, and Newark.
- Check driving times and traffic conditions: Tune into 1010AM Wins Radio for regular traffic reports. You can also check road congestion via Google Map.
- Wait times: Check security wait times for each Terminal via the TSA website.
- Register for travel alert messages: You can register for travel alerts to be sent to your phone for both New York airports and for Newark and New Jersey public transportation as well.
- Review security guidelines: A quick review of TSA guidelines can go a long way in avoiding delays when passing through airport security.
John F. Kennedy International Airport
John F. Kennedy International Airport is the busiest international air passenger gateway into the United States, handling 56 million passengers in 2015. Due to traffic, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours to reach the airport from Manhattan.
- Use uberPOOL: If you’re headed to Manhattan from JFK, try uberPOOL for a $35 flat fare.
- No official waiting zone: There’s no official pick-up waiting zone for cars at JFK. If arriving early, there is a short-term parking available for the price of $3 for every 30 minutes. In addition, there is a cellphone lot with over 350 spaces located just off the Van Wyck Expressway, near entrance to airport. There’s also a “Kiss & Fly Lot” at the AirTrain JFK Lefferts Boulevard Station.
- Busy times: With so many airlines, the busy times at JFK depend on which terminal you arriving or departing from. Here’s a breakdown on times that are on-average, the busiest for each terminal: Terminal 1: 2pm to 5pm; Terminals 2 and 3: 3pm to 6pm; Terminal 4: 3pm to 8pm; Terminal 5: 6am to 8am; Terminal 7: 3pm to 7pm; Terminal 8: 2pm to 4pm.
- AirTrain station: If a flight arrives at JFK during one of its peak times and you want to avoid the crowds, consider the AirTrain. The AirTrain cost $5 each way and will take you to either the Howard Beach or Jamaica AirTrain stations where you can order an Uber while avoiding the crush.
- Know your terminal: JFK has six terminals, containing 128 gates. Knowing which one to be dropped off at or picked up from is important for avoiding delays. Check out JFK’s terminal map to confirm your terminal.
LaGuardia is beginning a multi-billion-dollar redevelopment program to renovate many of its outdated facilities that is not slated for completion until 2021. During this time, parking will be limited and customers are being urged to find other means of getting to the airport. This makes Uber an ideal option for arriving or departing from this airport.
- Busy times: According to USA Today, the busiest times at LaGuardia during the week is Monday mornings and Friday afternoons. Plan accordingly.
- Drop-off and pick-up: Vehicles may temporarily stop on LaGuardia Airport’s curbs to pick up and drop off passengers. Unlike JFK, though, LaGuardia offers no cellphone lot for drivers to wait when picking up arriving riders. Plan accordingly.
- Short-term parking: is available at $4 every half an hour. LaGuardia’s website keeps track of how full the lots are by the hour.
- Know your terminal: With four airport terminals and more than 75 gates just eight miles from Manhattan, LaGuardia Airport connects millions of people with New York and New Jersey every day. Check out the terminal map to confirm where your gate is.
Newark Liberty International Airport
Newark serves 50 carriers and sits about a 30-minute ride from Manhattan in New Jersey, just over the Hudson River.
- Ride from Newark Airport for 50% less: We’re dropping UberX and UberXL fares from Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) by an average of 50%. Check out price charts and take advantage of this great deal.
- Expect delays: According to one travel study, only 68.4% of flights flying into Newark arrive on time.
- Short-term parking: Like LaGuardia, Newark does not offer a cellphone lot. However, short-term parking is available at lots A & B, and garage C for $33 a day.
- Busy times: Terminals A, C, and Terminal B-1 have the most people arriving and departing between the hours of 5:30am to 8am and 2pm to 6pm. While Terminal B-2 and B-3 are busiest later, between 2pm to 8pm.
- Know your terminal: Newark Liberty has three major terminals. Check out the map to know which airlines service each.