Uber Rider Pro Tips
In India, more people than ever are using Uber to get where they need to go. Check out the Uber Pro Tips below to learn how to move around the city like an expert and ensure that you have a 5 star rider experience from start to finish.
Our highest priority is connecting riders to a safe, reliable ride on the road. Our technology is designed to bring accountability and transparency to every ride so you can always feel safe taking an Uber.
Follow these tips to ensure a 5-Star Uber experience:
- Confirm you’re getting in the right Uber. Double check the license plate number matches the car’s plate and photo matches the driver. Confirm your driver’s name and tell him your name. If name / license doesn’t match, cancel the ride and report to us at email@example.com.
- Need to contact your driver? Swipe the tray up and select “Contact” to call or text your driver.
- Share your journey in real time. Use the “Send Status” feature to send your friends or family a map of your route and expected time of arrival.
- Provide feedback. Our feedback loop asks riders to rate every trip. We use that information to evaluate our driver partners.
- Detailed receipts. Every Uber receipt includes your driver’s name, photo and route information from pickup to drop off. Your receipt is your detailed guide to your trip. Additional questions? Just click the ‘Support’ tab in the app or reply to your receipt and a member of our support team will follow up shortly!
And don’t forget:
- Make sure to buckle up!
- Have more than 4 passengers? Request a second Uber.
- Please refrain from asking your driver to pick you up or drop you off in areas where pickup/drop-off parking is not permitted.
Don’t be that guy/gal. Respect your Uber.
- Has your driver arrived? Don’t make your driver wait too long. Remember, drivers’ time is valuable too and they are more than happy to help you as soon as they accept your request.
- How long can you make your driver wait? 5-10minutes. Need him to stick around for longer? Better to end this ride and request another one 10 minutes before you’re ready to leave.
- Be respectful of your drivers. Despite the dubious city traffic, they work hard to give you 5 star service to get you to where you want to go. Raising your voice or using strong language is not very Uber.
- If you are thinking of bringing a pet when you ride, make sure to get the driver’s permission first.
- Your Uber is not a goods transfer vehicle, do NOT use it for moving goods. Got luggage? That’s cool, your driver will be happy to help you with that at no extra cost.
- Help keep your driver’s vehicle clean. Put yourself in the shoes of the next rider.
- No drinking, eating, smoking or illegal substances in the car. Period. Be respectful of your driver’s wishes as it is their office you’re sitting in.
- Riding Uber means there’s no need to pay cash! When you get to your destination, you can simply hop out and be on your way.
- Rate your driver based on your driver’s performance and quality of service. Drivers do not control the fare. If you have a question, reply to your receipt and we’ll be happy to review your fare!
PERFECT YOUR PICK-UP
- Double-check your pick-up location on the map in the Uber app before hitting the ‘Request’ button. Pinning your location properly will save both you AND the driver valuable time so you can get going sooner. When in large buildings, try your best to drop the pin near the street where you’ll be waiting.
- Request your ride only when you’re ready to go.
FARE SPLITTING = FAIR SPLITTING
Splitting the dinner bill with your friends is complicated. Sharing the ride home isn’t!
- Swipe the tray up with your driver’s info and select “Fare Split”.
- Select the friends you’re riding with and tap “Send”.
- Your Uber-savvy friends will receive a message and taken directly to the app to confirm.
- Your friends without Uber will be asked to download the app, sign up, and confirm their share of the ride.
AVOID SURGE PRICING
Our goal is to be the most reliable ride on the road and sometimes we see such high demand that the number of available cars gets tight. During this time, surge pricing will automatically go into effect to encourage more drivers to get out on the road. As demand goes down and more cars free up, the rates will go back to normal.
No surprises when you estimate your fare. Surprises aren’t for everyone. That’s why we’ll always notify you in BIG, BOLD print if surge pricing is in effect and ask you to manually type in the higher multiple before you can request a ride. Enter your drop off location and tap “Fare Quote” to get an estimate of the cost of your ride.
WHAT IS UBER’S CANCELLATION POLICY?
Uber charges a cancellation fee if you cancel more than five minutes after requesting a ride. However, if our system expects your driver to be more than 5 minutes late (based on the current ETA), you may cancel without penalty.
UberBLACK is primarily executive cars like Corolla Altis, Honda City and Innova. Multiple cancellations by riders looking to get luxury cars creates a dispiriting and frustrating experience for our partner-drivers, especially those that drive Innova, and makes the system less efficient for other riders as well. When riders cancel frequently, drivers feel burned and are less likely to accept pickups. This leads to drivers rejecting longer pickups or calling clients to make sure that they do want a pickup.
It happens to the best of us; after you get out of your Uber, you realize you forgot something in the backseat. Whether it be your lunch or your phone, your engagement ring or a shoe (yes, the Uber team has seen it all), with Uber you can easily recover lost items.
Check the bottom of your receipt email for the “Click here if you lost something on this trip” link or visit riders.uber.com for your driver’s contact info. You can reach out directly to recover your lost item.
Uber India Team
Kolkata, Say CHEEEESE! We’ve partnered with the good folks at Sumo Dough to bring you a chance to relish the newest Italian food in town! This weekend, May 6 – 7, 2017, Sumo Dough –The LIVE kitchen takes the best of the day’s produce and crafts a menu of bold simplicity, offering just minimal yet […]
Chennai, it’s been a truly rewarding three years for us serving you, and we’re committed to doing more and better. Uber’s goal is to provide safe, affordable, reliable transportation at the push of a button, everywhere for everyone. This is true not just in the bustling city centre, but also in suburban areas and smaller […]
What do you do when you hear of this new, relaxed, fun restaurant that has come up in Kolkata? With Uber by your side, you visit it for FREE! This weekend, we’ve partnered with the good folks at Celavi to spoil you for choices while you enjoy with family & friends! Celavi as the French […]