Stay Safe this Halloween and Every Day
This Halloween weekend, millions of riders across the U.S. will turn to Uber for a safe trip home following festivities with family and friends. And hundreds of thousands of drivers will be there to provide those rides and help people avoid drinking and driving to make our communities safer.
With millions of people relying on each other, safety is key. And while no means of transportation is 100 percent incident-free, including ridesharing, we’re always looking for ways to improve safety in our communities and on the app.
So, we’ve been working with law enforcement to build a series of tips for consumers. As a former police officer, I know technology can improve safety in ways not possible before and it’s important to make the most of these features and information.
Stay safe with Uber this Halloween and every day with these 10 tips:
- Request Your Ride Inside: When the party’s over, there’s no need to hang curbside. Wait safely indoors while keeping an eye on your app for your driver to arrive.
- Know Your Uber, Avoid Scams: When you request an Uber, you’re given the driver’s name, photo and license plate number in your app. Before you get in the car, check the license plate number and look in the window to make sure the driver matches the photo. When you open the door, ask for the driver’s name. Always remember Uber rides can only be requested through the app, so never accept street hail solicitations from those claiming to be Uber.
- Be a Backseat Rider: If you’re riding alone, choose to sit in the backseat. This ensures you have the option of exiting either side of the vehicle after it safely stops to avoid moving traffic and gives you and your driver some personal space.
- Share Your Trip Details: While en route, you can not only monitor your own trip in your app but also share your trip details with friends and family. Simply tap the “Send Status” button to immediately send your driver’s name, photo, vehicle, and where you are on the map to a friend or family member, so they know when you’ve safely arrived. They don’t even need to download the app to track your trip!
- Protect your Personal Information: As you would anywhere, be cautious when sharing any personal information. There is no need to share your phone number or personal contact details. Riders and drivers’ phone numbers are hidden when they communicate via the Uber app to protect everyone’s privacy.
- Give Feedback: Your feedback helps us improve the Uber experience for everyone, maintain a high quality service and provide accountability. Our 24/7 global support team reviews this feedback and will follow up with appropriate action regarding reports of conduct that violates our community guidelines.
- Plan Ahead: Take time to review the safety features available to you in the app before you head out with friends, so you know how to use them. It’s easy and quick. Before you request a ride, know where your destination is and choose a friend or family member whom you can share your trip details with later.
- Be Kind and Respectful: Please treat your driver as you would want to be treated. Be respectful of his or her personal vehicle. Our community guidelines apply to both riders and drivers.
- Follow Your Intuition: Trust your instincts and use your best judgement when using the Uber app. Be aware of your surroundings. And if you ever feel you’re in an emergency situation, always call 911 immediately.
- Don’t Forget – Buckle Up: You may not be in the driver’s seat, but that’s no excuse to forget the Golden Rule of car ridership. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, seatbelt use is the most effective way to save lives and reduce injuries if ever an accident should occur. So fasten that seatbelt.
This flu season, we’re delivering free flu-fighting care packages across the country. When you receive a pack, you’ll have the option to request a free flu shot from a registered nurse–for up to 5 people.
It’s official: the Uber Driver App for iOS is now available for download in the App Store. And to celebrate, we’ve put together a list of the top 9 things you probably didn’t know about the Uber Driver App for iOS. Once you’ve taken a look, head on over to the App Store and take it for a spin.