Stay Safe this Halloween and Every Day
This Halloween weekend, millions of riders across the U.S. will turn to Uber for a safe trip home following festivities with family and friends. And hundreds of thousands of drivers will be there to provide those rides and help people avoid drinking and driving to make our communities safer.
With millions of people relying on each other, safety is key. And while no means of transportation is 100 percent incident-free, including ridesharing, we’re always looking for ways to improve safety in our communities and on the app.
So, we’ve been working with law enforcement to build a series of tips for consumers. As a former police officer, I know technology can improve safety in ways not possible before and it’s important to make the most of these features and information.
Stay safe with Uber this Halloween and every day with these 10 tips:
- Request Your Ride Inside: When the party’s over, there’s no need to hang curbside. Wait safely indoors while keeping an eye on your app for your driver to arrive.
- Know Your Uber, Avoid Scams: When you request an Uber, you’re given the driver’s name, photo and license plate number in your app. Before you get in the car, check the license plate number and look in the window to make sure the driver matches the photo. When you open the door, ask for the driver’s name. Always remember Uber rides can only be requested through the app, so never accept street hail solicitations from those claiming to be Uber.
- Be a Backseat Rider: If you’re riding alone, choose to sit in the backseat. This ensures you have the option of exiting either side of the vehicle after it safely stops to avoid moving traffic and gives you and your driver some personal space.
- Share Your Trip Details: While en route, you can not only monitor your own trip in your app but also share your trip details with friends and family. Simply tap the “Send Status” button to immediately send your driver’s name, photo, vehicle, and where you are on the map to a friend or family member, so they know when you’ve safely arrived. They don’t even need to download the app to track your trip!
- Protect your Personal Information: As you would anywhere, be cautious when sharing any personal information. There is no need to share your phone number or personal contact details. Riders and drivers’ phone numbers are hidden when they communicate via the Uber app to protect everyone’s privacy.
- Give Feedback: Your feedback helps us improve the Uber experience for everyone, maintain a high quality service and provide accountability. Our 24/7 global support team reviews this feedback and will follow up with appropriate action regarding reports of conduct that violates our community guidelines.
- Plan Ahead: Take time to review the safety features available to you in the app before you head out with friends, so you know how to use them. It’s easy and quick. Before you request a ride, know where your destination is and choose a friend or family member whom you can share your trip details with later.
- Be Kind and Respectful: Please treat your driver as you would want to be treated. Be respectful of his or her personal vehicle. Our community guidelines apply to both riders and drivers.
- Follow Your Intuition: Trust your instincts and use your best judgement when using the Uber app. Be aware of your surroundings. And if you ever feel you’re in an emergency situation, always call 911 immediately.
- Don’t Forget – Buckle Up: You may not be in the driver’s seat, but that’s no excuse to forget the Golden Rule of car ridership. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, seatbelt use is the most effective way to save lives and reduce injuries if ever an accident should occur. So fasten that seatbelt.
We are excited to surpass the 100th city mark by welcoming two Brazilian cities, Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte, to the UberEATS family. From Atlanta to Warsaw, people have truly embraced this easy and reliable way to discover the food they love at the push of a button. Whether that’s an Indian inspired samosa, a good old-fashioned American burger or Vietnamese pho, people in 27 countries are using UberEATS to get a taste of the world’s flavors at the push of a button.
We’re excited to expand the Uber for Business platform beyond business travel, to include a world-class customer transportation solution, Uber Central. With Uber Central, organizations of all shapes and sizes can now easily provide on-demand, door-to-door transportation for their customers, clients, and guests.
A little over a year ago, we set out to put a new spin on an old classic–make reliable food delivery available at the tap of a button. Back then, we started by offering food in the UberEATS app from 1,000 pioneering restaurant partners in four cities. And today, more than 40,000 restaurants globally–from poke shops to pasta spots–are sharing food with customers through UberEATS. With a growing restaurant community comes more choices and more complexity. So we’re cooking up features to continue to make UberEATS easy and reliable. Here is a taste–