Flat rates prevail over max rates

After much debate, we’ve decided to trade out all our max rates for flat rates.

Truthfully, the majority of riders won’t notice a thing – most fares to/from our max rate destinations hit the max (roughly 75% with the other 25% falling within $5 of the max).

So then why the decision to drop max rates? Offering flat rates allows us to be more fair to the Uber drivers – and if we’ve learned anything, it’s that happy drivers mean happy riders :)

Airport trips in many cities incur extra fees and drivers can’t count on picking someone up at the airport, so often have to make the trip back to the city with an empty backseat. Switching over to flat rates ensures that drivers are compensated fairly for any extra tolls/fees and the extra time/mileage when they head back to the city.

Plus as we continue to expand to new cities, flat rates keep airport travel simple and costs predictable.

Trust us when we say this was a debate. But our aim is to keep both sides of the Uber equation (riders and drivers) happy, so this was the right decision to preserve that balance. A happy equilibrium = an awesome Uber.

Uber on!

Featured articles

Get a Taste of the World: UberEATS is in 100+ Cities

We are excited to surpass the 100th city mark by welcoming two Brazilian cities, Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte, to the UberEATS family. From Atlanta to Warsaw, people have truly embraced this easy and reliable way to discover the food they love at the push of a button. Whether that’s an Indian inspired samosa, a good old-fashioned American burger or Vietnamese pho, people in 27 countries are using UberEATS to get a taste of the world’s flavors at the push of a button.

Uber for Business now makes it easy to give your customers a ride

We’re excited to expand the Uber for Business platform beyond business travel, to include a world-class customer transportation solution, Uber Central. With Uber Central, organizations of all shapes and sizes can now easily provide on-demand, door-to-door transportation for their customers, clients, and guests.

UberEATS: Using technology to build a reliable food delivery experience

A little over a year ago, we set out to put a new spin on an old classic–make reliable food delivery available at the tap of a button. Back then, we started by offering food in the UberEATS app from 1,000 pioneering restaurant partners in four cities. And today, more than 40,000 restaurants globally–from poke shops to pasta spots–are sharing food with customers through UberEATS. With a growing restaurant community comes more choices and more complexity. So we’re cooking up features to continue to make UberEATS easy and reliable. Here is a taste–