Did you find a golden ticket?
Greetings all! Once upon a time, young Charlie Bucket lived an average life, devoid of color and candy. Then, one wonderful birthday, he found a golden ticket hidden in his chocolate bar and became “the luckiest boy in the world”.
Today, dear Uber users, you might open up your inboxes and find your very own golden ticket. And that guy up at the top? You’ll look just as excited as he is because today is the day that we start our price elasticity test in San Francisco! We want to understand how ride volume increases as price decreases. If you’re happy, you Uber more, which makes Uber, our drivers and our partners happy too! Our goal is to offer reduced rates to all riders across the board.
More details on the method to follow soon in a sexy #uberdata post but here’s what you need to know now:
- If you are in the pricing test, you can ride Uber at a reduced rate (either 10%, 20% or if you’re really lucky, 30%!).
- The test is random and the 600 users with reduced rates have already been selected. Please don’t try to pull a Veruca Salt on us and open up lots of new Uber accounts – it won’t work. ;)
- This is an extended test that will run for up to 3 months. That makes it even better than a decadent one-day tour of a chocolate factory!
- This test is only running in San Francisco. After all, it’s the only city with a Golden Gate.
- The best part about all of this? You’ll have to do absolutely nothing. If you’re in the test, just ride with Uber on the account you signed up with and you’ll automatically receive the reduced rates!
Now, don’t worry… there won’t be any “accidents” happening to you if you’re in our price elasticity test. The gum, breathmints and water our drivers provide will be 100% Wonka-free. And of course, we’ll still be quality-checking all our cars to ensure that there are no Oompa-Loompas hiding under the seats. :)
For those of you who aren’t in our test, we sympathize. But the golden ticket wouldn’t be so very golden if everyone had it now, would it? Ultimately, the data from this test will lead to better pricing for everyone. And when that day comes, we’ll all ride the great glass elevator to a world where Ubers abound. Huzzah!
Today, I’m excited to announce that Arianna Huffington will join Uber’s board. For those of us who know Arianna, it’s clear she knows a thing or two about being an entrepreneur. As the founder and editor-in-chief of The Huffington Post, she’s built one of the most successful, innovative media companies in the world… from scratch. […]
As a data-driven company, we understand the power of information for communities. Since day one, our mission has been to connect people with reliable rides through the use of data and technology. As our footprint has grown throughout the years, so has our ability to use the Uber network in different ways. Starting today and […]
Today, we are excited to announce that Uber will give $5.5M to support a new robotics faculty chair as well as three fellowships at CMU. This gift is part of a partnership we announced earlier this year. In addition, we’re pumped to be part of a growing innovation ecosystem in Pittsburgh that includes world leading research institutions and companies, as well as an increasing number of start-ups.