Washington, Help Us Inaugurate UberTAXI
Just like with our black car service, open up your Uber app and you can easily request a DC taxi, pay with your credit card, and do it all with just the tap of a button. In a nutshell, UberTAXI offers the reliability and convenience you expect from Uber at a lower cost, so you can pick exactly what kind of ride you need, whenever you need it.
Thanks to the pro-innovation, pro-consumer legislation passed last month by the DC Council, we know that Uber is here to stay, which is why we are rolling out new transportation options like UberTAXI. But make no mistake: it’s still an experiment, and we will continue to improve on UberTAXI as more people use it.
Ready to try UberTAXI? Please keep these things in mind:
- Supply will be limited at first. Many taxis don’t fit Uber standards, so we are curating our supply pretty carefully.
- Black car will remain the default. To request a taxi instead of a black car, be sure to select TAXI in the Uber app, then request as usual.
- Once you get in the car, your driver will start the regular taxi meter. At the end of the trip, your driver will input the fare into their Uber iPhone, including all tolls and surcharges that would normally apply for a DC taxi ride. After the fare is entered into the app a $2 Uber booking fee will be added.
- Like any Uber ride, you don’t need to pay the driver directly. All charges will go to your credit card on file.
- A 20% gratuity will be added to your fare. This will be done automatically and charged to your credit card, exactly like a black car Uber ride (and unlike any taxi ride you’ve ever taken here in the District!).
- At this time, TAXI will only be available for pick-ups in the District. If you are in Virginia or Maryland, stay tuned for updates about when UberTAXI will be available to you.
- Requesting via text message? Head to m.uber.com to request a taxi.
- Don’t need a taxi? You can keep using all the same sedan and SUV options exactly as before.
As a data-driven company, we understand the power of information for communities. Since day one, our mission has been to connect people with reliable rides through the use of data and technology. As our footprint has grown throughout the years, so has our ability to use the Uber network in different ways. Starting today and […]
Today, we are excited to announce that Uber will give $5.5M to support a new robotics faculty chair as well as three fellowships at CMU. This gift is part of a partnership we announced earlier this year. In addition, we’re pumped to be part of a growing innovation ecosystem in Pittsburgh that includes world leading research institutions and companies, as well as an increasing number of start-ups.