Uber’s Bringing #OMGUBERBBQ to Austin
SXSW holds a special place in our hearts at Uber. Our earliest Uber test runs in 2010 were with friends at SXSW. We found out pretty quickly that driving through downtown in a town car during SXSW *really* sucks! We actually had to beg our friends to give Uber a shot. We learned in Austin that going local is usually the answer. Understand the city and integrate Uber into the local scene. We knew there had to be a better way to bring some Uber to SXSW.
So at last year’s SXSW we delivered big time with a uniquely Austin twist… on-demand pedicabs helped make the “south-by” experience truly Uber!
We had a big challenge this year – how could we deliver even more #awesomesauce to SXSW 2012? Sit down for this one, or should I say, put on a bib… Uber introduces On-Demand BBQ for Austin, TX during SXSW 2012. That’s right, ON-DEMAND BBQ. Using the Uber app, you can not only summon the pedicabs you’ve come to depend on, but also order up BBQ sandwiches powered by the famous Iron Works BBQ in just minutes. There’s really only one appropriate response to this…OMGUBERBBQ!
How to get a Pedicab
– Select the pedicab option at the top of the app screen
– Set your location and click to request a pickup
– You’ll receive an text msg. when driver arrives
– Price is set by negotiation, not by a time/distance rate.
– Include tip in your total amount.
– You’ll receive a receipt via email like any other Uber ride
– Pedicabs run from Thursday 3/8 to Wednesday 3/14
– If you’re awake, there will be pedicabs
How to get Uber BBQ
– Select the BBQ option at the top of the app screen
– Set your location and click to request delivery
– You’ll receive an alert and OMGUBERBBQ will arrive
– $10 per sandwich/bag of chips/bottle of water, with up to 4 sandwiches per group
– #OMGUBERBBQ runs from Thursday 3/8 to Wednesday 3/14
– Sandwiches will be available from 11am-11pm
– Make sure to take pics w/ your bibs!
*Pedicab and BBQ options will be available on iPhone & Android apps. Text message requests will only work for pedicabs.
A typical ride: you request, have small talk with your driver, and safely get where you need to go. For Jonathan, a driver-partner in California, his rides are anything but ordinary — he wants his passengers to have fun and turned each trip into a dance party — and now the latest viral video. We caught up with the man in front of the cam to learn more about what inspired him to create this feel-good video.
A new report conducted in partnership with Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) reveals that when empowered with more transportation options like Uber, people are making better choices that save lives.
New technologies are creating opportunities no one could have imagined. To understand Uber’s place in that trend, we commissioned a survey of our driver-partners and put together a comprehensive analysis.