Uber Tech Smackdown
Uber is #superpumped to announce that Palo Alto is going to be Uber’s first expansion outside of San Francisco. It’s a straightforward decision; Palo Alto is the spiritual center of Silicon Valley. The Uber fanbase and our fleet partners in San Francisco have been vocal about extending service southward. Why shouldn’t the Uber faithful have uber transportation options when they venture off into the burbs?
Well, we’re more than happy to accommodate. Uber’s marketing dept. (ummm…we still don’t have any marketing employees) came up with a fun, Uber-esque way of kicking things off. For our Palo Alto Launch, we’re enlisting the employees of Facebook and Google and throwing in some UberLove to make it interesting. We call it the ‘Uber Tech Smackdown 2011.’
Rules of the Uber Tech Smackdown:
- For two weeks – 3/1 to 3/15 – Facebook and Google employees have exclusivity on all pickups in Palo Alto
- For Palo Alto pickups, Uber users MUST have a Facebook or Google employee email address registered with their Uber account (go to http://www.uber.com to change email settings)
- Palo Alto is defined by the geo-fence shown below- – Destination location does not factor into exclusivity
- The contest is to see which company’s employees can do the most Palo Alto rides over the exclusivity period
- The winners will be rewarded handsomely
If Facebook wins…
- All Uber trips between Google HQ and Facebook HQ (either direction) will be FREE for the next 6 months – #PoachingInStyle
- All Facebook employees registered before 3/15 get $20 in credits
- All Uber users who ‘Like’ Uber between 3/1 and 3/15 will get $10 in Uber credits – just go to Uber.com, login, and then hit the “Like” button at the top of the home page
If Google wins…
- All Uber trips between Google HQ and Facebook HQ are twice the price for 6 months #PoachingCounterMeasure
- All Google employees registered before 3/15 get $20 in credits
- All Uber users that have signed up with a Gmail account by 3/15 will get $10 in Uber credits
- Follow us on Twitter @Uber or Facebook and stay updated on whose in the lead on our Smackdown Leaderboard page. Let the best company win! Go Uber!
Update: Yes, we know that Google is not in Palo Alto and not included in our Geofence below. A few points: a) Facebook has home-field advantage in the contest, but GOOG has 10x the number of employees to make up for it — b) ANYONE can do a pickup outside of our Palo Alto geo-fence
As a data-driven company, we understand the power of information for communities. Since day one, our mission has been to connect people with reliable rides through the use of data and technology. As our footprint has grown throughout the years, so has our ability to use the Uber network in different ways. Starting today and […]
Today, we are excited to announce that Uber will give $5.5M to support a new robotics faculty chair as well as three fellowships at CMU. This gift is part of a partnership we announced earlier this year. In addition, we’re pumped to be part of a growing innovation ecosystem in Pittsburgh that includes world leading research institutions and companies, as well as an increasing number of start-ups.